Sunday, March 14

create a life of beauty & joy



Earlier this year, I had this realization that I was neglecting the thing I love the most: Art. It was such a huge part of my life when I was doing art shows. Art was my life. Then I started working on my master's degree, and it completely got pushed down on my priority list. There are few things in this world that make me more happy than creating something new. This past year, paint and paper have been replaced by pixels. Although I'm taking some great classes as I work on my degree in web development, computer-based design just doesn't replace the part of me that loves getting out my supplies and browsing through my paper stash and making big art messes.

Over the past month, I've started focusing on on small projects. At this point in my life, I can't manage 4 hours of my Sunday spent making things but do have are small pockets of time. This past month, I started writing in my journal again, and I've dusted off my camera. I'm traveling to Seattle in April to take part in a weekend art retreat. This is something I've always wanted to do, so to say I'm excited is a huge understatement!

I'm so glad to be welcoming art back into my life.

4 comments:

剩下 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle Clement said...

Oh my gosh! You're going to Sabrina's workshop in April, aren't you? I'm so excited to go, dude...and I much agree - I'm thinking about going back to school for design, but I want to focus on design with a lot of handmade-and-scanned elements, because the hands-on is just so vital to me. :) Fun stuff!

Nicole Hess said...

Michelle- I am attending Sabrina's workshop in April. I can't believe it's almost time to pack our bags! I'm so excited, too.

I totally get the handmade elements thing. There is something I so appreciate about getting my hands messy.

Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

Kyra said...

Oh, that's so exciting! And it's Sabrina's workshop. Feeling happy that I somehow ended up here on your blog. Okay, I'm going to go dig into it now...